Covid testers are responsible for obtaining COVID samples from patients in a safe and efficient manner for the sole purpose of the samples being lab tested. This role requires you to routinely obtain specimens for patients in various locations.
Candidates must be able and comfortable with performing oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal swabs for COVID-19 testing. You will be performing the testing by yourself and must be confident and comfortable working alone.
COVID-19 testers are on the frontline in the fight against the virus spreading. A mobile COVID-19 tester is essential as it raises the number of tests completed. Tests that are performed by mobile testers may not have been completed if the patient did not have the option for mobile testing.
COVID-19 tests can detect both SARS-CoV-2 and biomarkers of SAR-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and the antibodies that are created by the body after a person gets COVID-19 or after getting vaccinated. Tests for COVID-19 can tell if you have an infection at the time of the test. These tests are called “viral” tests because they are looking for evidence of a viral infection.
Tests are often done for antibodies as well and may tell if you had a past infection with the virus that causes COVID-19.
There are two main types of tests. One test is a nasal swab which can be done via rapid testing in 15-30 minutes (this option has less accurate results) and the other option is a saliva test. The saliva tests have to be reviewed in a laboratory. These tests are the most accurate but require 1-3 days in a laboratory before the results appear.
- Perform Oral or nasal Swab on the patient for COVID testing. Facilitate the collection, processing, and shipping of specimens.
- Adhere to company policy to correctly identify the patient before administering a swab.
- Ensure all specimens are labeled properly for shipping.
- Show compassion and customer service when interacting with patients, doctors, and other staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse patient pool.
- OSHA standards and universal precautions must be followed.
- Strictly adhere to HIPAA guidelines.
- Inform Supervisor of low volume shifts, unusual problems, or deviations from established procedures.
- Maintain neat, clean, orderly patient/work areas at all times.
- Order processing & office supplies as needed.
Covid Tester Salaries
Based on market research as of June 2022, the average salary for a covid tester is $22 per hour or a yearly salary of $45,760 (based on 2080 hours in a work year.)
US Wellness is a healthcare company in New York, New York that specializes in post-covid solutions and employs covid testers.
DocGo is looking for employees to join their team in mobile covid testing jobs around the country. These covid testers travel from place to place, such as universities or office buildings, performing tests on individuals who would normally have to travel to a hospital or clinic to be tested.
Rapid Reliable Testing LLC is a company in New York, New York that promotes in-office wellness with mobile covid testing units and employs covid testers.
Education and Requirements
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Familiarity with medical terminology preferred.
- Valid motor vehicle license and reliable transportation
- CNA or CCMA license preferred.
- Direct hands-on patient care experience preferred.