What Symptoms do Gastro Specialist Treat?
Gastroenterology is a branch of medicine specializing in diseases of the digestive system. These include the stomach, small intestine, colon, rectum, and liver.
Gastroenterologists treat a wide range of conditions, including gastrointestinal bleeding, diarrhea, constipation, ulcers, colitis, pancreatitis, and cirrhosis of the liver. They may also perform procedures such as colonoscopies and ERCPs to diagnose and treat digestive disorders. Read more about colonoscopy and see what it involves on this page: https://www.andrea-digestive-clinic.com/.
The Symptoms that Gastroenterologists can help with and what they may Indicate
Gastro specialists can help with a variety of symptoms. Usually, if you are having problems with your digestive system, it is good to see a Gastro specialist in Singapore (that’s if you stay or spend most of your time in Singapore. Some common symptoms that Gastroenterologists can help with include:
- Pain or discomfort in the stomach: Pain or discomfort in the stomach may be caused by indigestion, heartburn, gas, or a stomach ulcer. A Gastroenterologist can help you determine the cause of your pain and may prescribe medication to help relieve it.
- Nausea or vomiting: Nausea and vomiting may be caused by a number of different things, such as food poisoning, a virus, or intolerance to certain foods. A Gastroenterologist can help you determine the cause of your nausea and vomiting and may prescribe medication to help relieve it.
- Diarrhea: Diarrhea may be caused by a variety of things, such as a virus, food poisoning, or an infection. If you have diarrhea that lasts more than a few days, you should see a gastro specialist. They can help determine the cause of your diarrhea and may prescribe medication to help relieve it.
- Constipation: The most common cause of constipation is a diet low in fiber. It can also be caused by not drinking enough water, not getting enough exercise, or medications. If you have constipation that lasts more than a few days, you should see a gastro specialist in Singapore. They can help determine the cause of your constipation and may prescribe medication to help relieve it.
- Blood in the stool: Blood in the stool isn’t something to be ignored. It could be a sign of a more serious condition, such as colitis or cancer. A timely diagnosis can help to ensure that you receive the treatment you need.
- Abdominal pain: Abdominal pain may be caused by a variety of things, such as indigestion, gas, food poisoning, or a stomach ulcer. Your gastro specialist in Singapore can help determine the cause of your abdominal pain and prescribe medication to help relieve it.
How to Know if you need to See a Gastroenterologist
It is normal not to be sure if you need to see a Gastroenterologist. Luckily though, there are some symptoms that may indicate you should book an appointment with your gastro specialist in Singapore. They include:
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Chronic diarrhea
- Blood in the stool
- Weight loss without trying
- Unexplained fatigue
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to see a gastro specialist. They are specially trained to diagnose and treat conditions of the digestive system. They will be able to determine if there is an underlying condition causing your symptoms and provide you with the treatment you need.
What to Expect at your Appointment
When you go for your appointment, the gastroenterologist will first ask you about your symptoms. They will want to know when they started, how often they occur, and what makes them better or worse.
The gastro specialist will also ask about your medical history and any medications you are currently taking. They will also want to know if you smoke or drink alcohol, as these can contribute to digestive problems like acid reflux, gastritis and stomach ulcers among others.
Be sure to tell them about any allergies you have and if you have ever had a reaction to a medication. They will then do a physical examination. This may involve feeling your abdomen for any abnormalities.
Depending on your history and physical examination results, the gastro specialist may order some tests. These tests may include:
- Blood tests: Blood tests can help rule out infection or anemia.
- Stool tests: Stool tests can help rule out infection, inflammation, or the presence of blood in the stool.
- Imaging tests: Imaging tests, such as X-rays or ultrasounds, can help to rule out obstruction or blockage in the intestines.
- Endoscopy: An endoscopy is a procedure where a tiny camera is inserted into the digestive system through the mouth or rectum. This allows the Gastroenterologist to directly visualize the inside of the digestive system and look for any abnormalities.
After the tests are completed, the Gastroenterologist will review the results with you. If they find that you have a condition that requires treatment, they will provide you with a treatment plan.
How Gastro Specialists can help you feel Better
In some cases, gastroenterologists can help you feel better simply by providing relief from your symptoms. In other cases, they may be able to diagnose and treat a condition that is causing your symptoms. Some of the treatments that gastroenterologists may prescribe include:
- Medications: There are a variety of medications that gastroenterologists may prescribe depending on what’s troubling you. The medications can help in managing conditions such as constipation, diarrhea, and acid reflux.
- Lifestyle changes: There are a number of lifestyle changes that your gastro specialist in Singapore may recommend to help improve your symptoms. This may include changes to your diet or exercise routine.
- Surgery: In some cases, surgery may be necessary to treat a condition. Your gastroenterologist will discuss all of your treatment options with you and help you decide which is best for you.
If you experience worrisome symptoms indicative of gastrointestinal problems, you should immediately consult a gastro specialist. They will be able to properly assess your condition and provide you with the necessary treatment. It is wise that you do not wait until the problem worsens. Remember that early detection and treatment often lead to better outcomes.
Our team of highly skilled Gastroenterologists are here to help you with all of your digestive needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to meeting you! Call: +65 6264-2836 .
Andrea’s Digestive Clinic: Colon, Liver, Gallbladder, GERD/Acid Reflux Specialist
#21-11/12 Royal Square At Novena, 101 Irrawaddy Road Singapore 329565
+65 6264 2836