Anxiety is a normal part of life, as situations trigger it. It could be that uneasiness when faced with a challenging situation at work. Others may experience it when making significant decisions in life, such as entering the marriage life. Even though anxiety comes and goes, sometimes it can be recurring, and this is where you need help from a specialist. In Houston, Texas, you’ll find centers willing to help you fight mental disorders, including anxiety. What you need is to find the best Houston anxiety specialists as they’ll offer quality services. It’s important to know what anxiety is, where it comes from, and whether there is a remedy.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety refers to the uneasiness, fear, and dread people face in certain situations. It’s something that helps you cope with challenges by boosting your energy levels. An anxiety disorder kicks in whenever the anxiety becomes overwhelming rather than temporary. Without the proper treatment for anxiety, these disorders can worsen over time. For this reason, it’s always a wonderful thing to seek professional help from a specialist.
Types of Anxiety
There are three major categories of anxiety. Namely;
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). In this type of anxiety, people tend to worry about general things such as work, school, finances, health, and family. There is a specific period that indicates the condition. For instance, if you think about such general stuff every day for a period not less than six months, it means you have GAD.
- Phobias. In this second group, you’ll find people having a fear of things that necessarily do not pose any actual danger. One example is social anxiety which arises when you are in public. Others could be having fears of flying and large water masses.
- Panic disorder. If you have panic disorder, you’ll find yourself having panic attacks. These are often repeated, sudden times of intense fear even when there is no danger. These attacks take place swiftly and last typically for minutes and, at times, more.
Which are the Symptoms of Anxiety?
Anxiety disorders display in different ways. You may find yourself having sleep disruptions at night, trembling while in your daily activities. There is also the issue of increased heart rate, rapid breathing, and restlessness. It’s also common to find yourself avoiding the anxiety triggers in every way you can.
Which are the Risk Factors?
Some risk factors make you more prone to anxiety than any other person. These include;
- Traumatic events in life, especially in the childhood
- Family history of mental disorders such as anxiety and depression
- Certain physical conditions, for instance, arrhythmia and thyroid problems
- Specific personality traits such as shyness
Diagnosis and Treatment of Anxiety Disorder
The specialist will go through your medical history and evaluate the different symptoms you’re experiencing in the diagnosis. There is also a psychological evaluation. Afterward, the focus will go to the treatments. One main one is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). It guides you on the different ways of behaving and thinking. They will individualize the treatment to make the procedure satisfactory.
Anxiety is something familiar in life, but a limit shows it has turned into an anxiety disorder. Fortunately, there are anxiety specialists who can help you get over it. They utilize treatments such as cognitive-behavioral therapy.