Did you know you can always prevent a disease complication by finding early diagnosis and treatment? It is critical to find the necessary medical care immediately after you experience a health problem. By not waiting for the symptoms to become worse, you give yourself a chance to recover faster and resume your healthy life.
Humble, TX endocrinology specialist Dr. Zubieta offers top-quality care for diabetes, thyroid issues, and hormone-related disorders. North Houston Diabetes Institute uses modern technology to provide thorough diagnosis and personalized treatment. Give them a call today to understand more about their services.
What is endocrinology?
It is a medical branch that involves the study of the endocrine system. The system consists of glands that control and produce hormones. Hormones are critical in our bodies and regulate various body functions.
The endocrine system consists of various organs, including:
- Thyroid: This gland converts iodine to hormones T3 and T4. They regulate blood pressure, temperature, and heart rate.
- The pancreas: It enhances digestion by producing digestive enzymes and generates body energy.
- Ovaries: Produces eggs and hormones, progesterone and estrogen.
- Parathyroids: These glands control calcium levels in the body, including blood and bones.
- Hypothalamus: Manages the pituitary gland and regulates functions like hunger, thirst, and body temperature.
- Pituitary gland: This gland produces hormones that control the function of endocrine glands.
- Adrenal glands are above the kidneys. They help regulate blood pressure, body metabolism, control body stress, and enhance the development of male sex organs during childhood.
- The pineal body controls various body functions, producing the hormone melatonin that regulates the sleep and wake cycle.
- Testes: Are male sex glands. They produce sperm and the hormone testosterone.
Hormones travel through your blood and are responsible for instructing various body parts on what to do and when.
Some body processes need hormones for things such as:
- Blood sugar control
- Tissue function
- Sexual development and function
- Regulation of heart rate and blood pressure
- Growth and development
What are some of the conditions related to endocrinology?
Hormones usually function adequately when they are at a balance. Having too high or low hormone levels causes a hormonal imbalance that does not go so well with various body functions.
Most of the time, the body will restore the imbalance on its own. However, when it does not, it may lead to medical complications. Your care provider may refer you to an endocrinologist for further evaluation and treatment.
Some of the conditions related to endocrinology include:
- Adrenal disease
- Reproductive issues
- Thyroid disease
- Pituitary dysfunction
- Parathyroid dysfunction
Other endocrine conditions include high blood pressure, osteoporosis, obesity, among others.
What are the treatments for endocrine health problems?
Treating endocrine conditions involve the following:
- Hormone therapy involves restoring hormone levels to normal to enhance a balance. For instance, with diabetes, you may need to take insulin daily to regain its status.
- Your provider may also prescribe medications to alleviate some effects of the endocrine disorders and regulate hormone production.
- You may need surgery for the endocrine disease, such as removing a tumor.
- Lifestyle modifications, including weight loss, regular exercise, and healthy diets, may also be appropriate.
Your primary care provider treats endocrinology issues most of the time, but they might refer you to an endocrinologist in some cases. Contact North Houston Diabetes Institute today to learn more about endocrinology.