Breast augmentation, also known as a ”boob job” or augmentation mammoplasty is a common plastic surgery procedure.
In the United States, 300,000 procedures are performed each year with statistics showing an increasing trend. So why do people choose to get breast augmentation?
In this blog post, we’ll talk about what breast augmentation is, explore some of the reasons why women choose to undergo breast augmentation surgery, and answer some frequently asked questions.
Let’s get started.
What Is Breast Augmentation Surgery?
Breast augmentation surgery is a cosmetic procedure that involves the use of a breast implant or fat transfer to increase the size and/or shape of your breasts. This procedure can be done on its own or with other cosmetic procedures, such as a breast lift.
The goal of breast augmentation is to improve your confidence and self-esteem by creating a natural-looking breast appearance, especially after pregnancy or weight loss.
Why Do People Get Breast Augmentations?
People get breast augmentation for several reasons. Some of the reasons include:
- To improve their body image and self-esteem
- To correct the size of their breasts after pregnancy or weight loss
- To correct asymmetry in their breast
- To improve the shape of the breasts
- To match the size of one breast to the other (unevenness)
- To make breasts appear fuller and more youthful-looking
- To feel more comfortable in their clothes
Who Is a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is not a one-size-fits-all procedure, but a highly individualized and personal process. To be a good candidate you should:
- Be physically and mentally healthy not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Have realistic expectations for the procedure
- Stop smoking at least 1 to 2 weeks before the surgery
- Have asymmetrical breasts
- Have small breasts but desire larger ones.
- Desire to feel confident
- Have fully developed breasts
- Stop using blood-thinning medications including aspirin and anti-inflammatories.
- Be dissatisfied with volume loss as a result of breastfeeding, weight loss, pregnancy, or aging.
What Are the Possible Complications and Side Effects of Breast Augmentation?
When it comes to breast augmentation, there are some potential complications and side effects that you should be aware of. Some of these include:
- Chronic pain
- Infection at the site of the incision
- Incision separation/ rupture (when the scar pulls apart)
- Blood clots in veins near the area where your chest was cut open
- Necrosis (death) of tissue around the implant
- Poor scarring around or near where you were cut open for surgery
- Implant retention
- Capsular contracture
- Faulty position of the implant
If you experience any unusual symptoms after your procedure, be sure to contact your doctor immediately.
There are many questions that you should ask your breast augmentation surgeon before undergoing this life-changing experience. The surgeon you choose should be able to answer and advise you accordingly.
Here are some of the most common questions you should ask:
- Is plastic surgery your field of training?
- Are you a certified plastic surgeon?
- How long have you been in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many successful procedures have you done?
- Am I a good candidate for a breast augmentation procedure?
- Are there any risks and complications that I should expect?
- Will you use implants or a fat transfer procedure?
- How long will the procedure take?
- Are there before and after photos of previous patients?
- How long until I return to normal activities?
- What post-operative instructions should I expect?
- What kind of anesthesia will be used during the procedure?
- How long will it take to recover?
- How much does breast augmentation cost?
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgery procedure where implants or fat transfer methods are used to enhance the size and shape of the breast.
How Much Does Breast Augmentation in Long Island Cost?
The cost of breast augmentation surgery in Long Island depends on several factors, including:
- The geographical office location
- The experience of your board-certified plastic surgeon
- The type of procedure used
In general, the average cost of breast augmentation is $4,516. However, a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to get an estimate for your procedure.
What Are the Benefits of Breast Augmentation?
Women who choose to undergo breast augmentation can benefit in several ways including:
- Improved self-esteem and body image
- Improved confidence and appearance
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Aesthetically pleasing breasts
Why Get Breast Augmentation?
There are several reasons why you may want to get breast augmentation. They include:
- You want to enhance the size of your breast
- You want to improve your self-esteem and body image
- You want to enhance the shape of your breast
- You want to improve your confidence and appearance
- You want to correct the asymmetry of your breasts
Is Breast Augmentation Safe?
Yes! Breast augmentation is an FDA-approved procedure that when performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon should result in the desired result.