Proper brain function is a crucial element in a person’s overall wellbeing, thus resulting in many individuals making mental health and wellness a greater priority in their lives. Due to the fast-paced lifestyle most people have nowadays, there’s a greater focus on coming up with ways to enhance the brain’s function. Nutrition is also no longer only focused on physical wellbeing but also cognitive health.
The truth is, everyone wants to have a better functioning brain with better memory, creativity, sharpness, and motivation. Fortunately, health experts have developed ways supplements or nootropics that can potentially enhance brain performance.
What Are Brain Performance Supplements?
Commonly known as nootropics, these are supplements you take to boost your brain function. They can either be synthetic drugs or natural supplements, such as vitamins and minerals, amino acids, and herbs. Although you can find these naturally in your daily foods, they can now be formulated to increase their capacity to enhance certain brain functions.
Essentially, brain supplements should help improve your memory, attention span, motivation, learning, and creativity. Previously, many nootropics in the market focused on helping persons with memory-related conditions such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. Today, there are supplements such as Mind Lab Pro and other supplements available for everyone’s use.
How Do Brain Performance Supplements Work?
They work similarly to the supplements you take to help with other body functions, including boosting bone health, immunity, metabolism, and more. They help increase the amounts of nutrients and minerals in your body that the brain needs to function optimally. At first, you may not see any changes. However, as the nutrients accumulate in the body, you may then start to experience significant changes.
These improvements are the potential result of the body finally starting to use the supplements to change the brain chemically. The concept is similar to physical training and exercise. In the beginning, you may not see any change—only sore muscles. As you stay consistent with your workout, you’ll start to notice changes in your health and physical appearance.
Specifically, here are some of the potential benefits of taking brain supplements:
- Enhances neurotransmission by boosting brain signaling and synthesis
- Supplies the brain with biochemical precursors that help improve its protection, repair, and regeneration
- Boosts blood flow to the brain, providing it with essential nutrients in the process
- Offers neural protection against neurodegeneration arising from free radical tissue damage that affects the frequency of brain waves. This may help improve your general state of mind.
Benefits Of Brain Performance Supplements
Research conducted suggests that brain supplements may have both short and long-term benefits:
These are a few of the noticeable changes you may experience soon after the body absorbs the supplements:
- Reduced mental exhaustion
- Improved sharpness and focus
- Reduced memory fog
- Enhanced productivity
Some benefits may not show until you’ve taken the supplements for a prolonged period. They include the following:
- Better long-term memory
- General mood and emotional stability and balance
- Improved brain repair
- Enhanced resistance to stress and depression
Common Side Effects Of Brain Performance Supplements
Most brain performance supplements are a combination of many ingredients, mainly referred to as stacking. So, the side effects may be different depending on the supplement stack you take. However, you can rest assured that they’re generally mild and rare.
These side effects include nausea, stomach upsets, headaches, and jitters. Some side effects, such as jitters, come from the caffeine in the supplement and so you should take caution if you have issues with caffeine intake.
Brain Supplement Classifications
Nootropics are made for various purposes, such as helping with productivity, alertness, memory decline that occurs with age, and more. Moreover, here are the several categories you should be aware of:
- Racetams: These are synesthetic performance supplements that you’re likely to get as over-the-counter products or prescription drugs. They’re packed with ingredients that may help boost memory.
- Nutraceuticals: These are products that offer other benefits besides their nutritional value. They’re primarily herb-based ingredients you may use to help improve general brain function.
Common Brain Performance Supplements
There are many known nootropics available today. Here are a few of the most common ingredients used:
- Vitamins: Vitamins and minerals are essential for the normal function and growth of your brain. The B-complex vitamins are especially regarded as one of the best brain performance supplements. These include vitamins B6, B9, and B12.
- Herbs: Herbs have been used for centuries for cognitive enhancement. Today, there are more modern methods of extraction that can be used to enhance herb potency while making them safer. For instance, the health benefits of turmeric have gained popularity over the past few years. These benefits are primarily due to the presence of curcumin. This compound is known for its high anti-inflammatory effects that are also said to help prevent brain inflammation.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants are said to help improve brain function by neutralizing free radicals, the unstable molecules that damage the brain cell membranes. They work by helping to relax blood vessels, boosting blood flow to the brain. They’re also said to support growth factors essential to the brain.
- Amino Acids: These are organic compounds that help with optimizing the overall health of your bodily functions, including the processes in the brain.
Brain function supplements offer a wide range of benefits, including mental sharpness and function and lower stress levels. However, they’re not a quick fix for cognitive decline. They work best if you combine them with a healthy diet and lifestyle. It’s highly advisable to talk to a health professional before taking any supplements, natural or synthetic.