Photo by Karolina Grabowska
Are you one of the people who spend the whole day in front of a computer? If so, you are among the millions of people all over the world who complain about the neck, shoulder, and back pain. You can have yourself checked by a chiropractor in Kitchener to help with the pain. But make sure that you are not stopping there because you have the biggest role to play in alleviating back pain. Here are stretches that can help you be free from pain:
Stretching is the first thing that you can do to ease the pain that you feel. This helps you loosen the muscles in the problem area even for just a few seconds. Stretching helps in restoring muscle flexibility, promoting a range of motion, and improving the circulation of the blood. Throughout the day, include a few seconds of stretching into your routine and see how much your back pain becomes more manageable.
Neck side bend and rotation
Photo by Miriam Alonso
Staring at a computer or mobile screen for too long can make your head feel heavier. Your neck and shoulders would feel sore most of the time as you keep a forward-leaning posture for hours. The neck side bend and rotation is a very simple stretching exercise that you can do. Here are the steps:
- Stand or sit facing forward and tilt your neck to the right. You will feel your neck muscle stretch.
- After about 10 seconds, roll your head in a counterclockwise direction, pausing for 10 seconds when you reach the left shoulder.
- Do this alternately for at least 3 repetitions.
The good old shoulder roll is one of the simplest stretches that you can do whether you are at home, at work, or anywhere else. Here are the steps:
- Stand or sit straight with your arms down at your sides.
- Roll your shoulders backwards in a circular motion. Do this 5 times.
- Repeat the rolling motion five times in forwarding rotation.
- Repeat the sequence at least 3 times.
Overhead arm reach
If you need some help easing the pain on your shoulders and upper back then do the overhead arch reach with these simple steps:
- Sit in a chair, be sure to place your feet on the ground.
- Extend your right arm above your head and reach to the left.
- Return to starting position.
- Do the same steps with your left arm.
- Repeat at least 5 times.
The pectoral muscle covers the front of the rib cage and draws the forelimbs toward the chest. Stretching this muscle helps alleviate the pain in your shoulders and upper back. Here’s how you can do the pec stretch:
- Find a doorway or wall to hold and make you feel steady as you make a 90-degree angle of your elbow.
- Let the weight fall forward so that you will feel the stretch in your chest and shoulders.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds before releasing.
- Do at least 3 rounds of this.
Have you been sitting too long on your office chair? Who says you can’t exercise while you are busy beating deadlines? Chair rotation is the best quick stretch you can do at work. Here are the steps:
- Sit sideways in a chair, with your right side resting against the back of the chair.
- Keep the legs stationary as you rotate your torso to the right. Reach the back of the chair with your hands.
- Hold the position or stretch deeper to loosen your muscles.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- You can do 3 repetitions for each side.
Cat cow position
If you are a fan of yoga then you have come across this position several times. This is a very easy way to help you give your back the proper stretch after a long and tiring day. Here are the steps:
- Start on all fours, making sure that your back is neutral. This is called the tabletop position.
- Your palms should be directly under the shoulders and the knees directly under the hips.
- Inhale, tucking your pelvis and round it mid-back. Make sure that your navel is drawn towards the spine. The head is dropped to help the neck relax.
- Hold your breath for 3-5 seconds before exhaling and returning to the tabletop position.
- Turn your face toward the sky, allowing the back to sink to the floor. Hold this position again for 3-5 seconds.
- Repeat this sequence at least 5 times.
Back pain is a very common problem experienced by many. Aside from treatments with a chiropractor in Oshawa, you can also do these stretches daily. It would also be nice to treat yourself to some relaxing time. Look for a place with the right spa equipment that can help loosen sore back muscles.