Acne scars are caused by inflammation in or near the skin, which causes tissue damage. They’re generally grouped into three types:
- Icepick Scars
- Boxcar Scars and
- Rolling Scars
Before suggesting any treatment for acne scars at Veritas Medical Aesthetics Clinic in Singapore, we do recommend for patients to schedule a consultation and have their skins assessed so they can be advised on the best treatment depending on the type of acne scars they’re dealing with. Back to the types of acne scars, Icepick scars are deep, narrow trenches that usually extend from the corner of the nose to the mouth.
This type of scar is often created by severe cystic acne. Icepick scars create a pitted appearance on the skin’s surface, which can be corrected with fillers and surgical procedures.
Boxcar scars are characterized by round or ovals bumps on an otherwise normal-looking skin surface. These may develop into shallow depressions as they become more defined over time. They result from severe inflammatory acne lesions.
Rolling scars are shallow and wide. They develop when the skin is stretched due to excessive tissue in one area. This may occur with rapid weight gain, pregnancy, or muscle growth. Rolling scars can be treated with lasers and chemical peels to reduce their appearance.
What are the Costs Associated with Acne Scar Removal Procedures in Singapore?
The cost of acne scar removal in Singapore does depend on several factors. Typical ones include; which type of treatment you choose, where you have it done, how many areas need treatment, and the severity of your scarring.
If you choose a surgical procedure such as excision or punch-out techniques, plan on paying $1000-$3000 per treatment session depending on where you live and how many sessions will be needed. Laser resurfacing costs approximately the same but is usually less expensive if you live in Singapore or elsewhere outside Western countries. Treatment with chemical peels can cost less than $300 per session, and skin needling is much lower at about $150.
How much exactly does Laser for Acne Scar Removal in Singapore Cost?
If you need to remove several scars, laser resurfacing maybe your best option because treatment sessions are shorter (10-30 min) compared to excision. Treatments are also more convenient; they can be done quickly without anesthesia or hospitalization in a doctor’s office.
The cost of laser treatment varies depending on the type and number of lasers used. It costs between $200 and $3000+ per session, and 3-6 sessions may be required. You can expect to pay around $3,000-$9,000 total for laser resurfacing treatments in Singapore.
Is there a Difference in Price between Medical Procedures and At-home Options for Acne Scar Removal in Singapore?
Results from both types of treatment usually take several months to become evident. Side effects such as redness or swelling should start to fade after about two weeks, but results from chemical peels may not be visible until one month after treatment is completed.
At-home acne scar removal kits offer affordable options that you can use to improve your skin’s appearance without a doctor’s office visit. However, results from these products may not be as good as those obtained in a clinical setting, and most require daily use for several months before seeing any effects.
Ideally, the most significant concern around at-home treatments is that they can take more than twice as long to show results. Besides, there is also the increased risk of complications especially, if you’re not an appropriate candidate for the treatments. That said, even though at-home acne scar treatments may seem cheaper alternatives, it’s strongly recommended that you get to see an experienced dermatologist or aesthetic doctor who will be able to assess your skin conditions and recommend the proper treatment for you.
What are Some Tips for Preventing Acne Scars from Forming?
Let’s face it; acne scars can be a real pain. Not only do they cause emotional and psychological distress, but they can also be difficult to get rid of.
What starts out as a tiny red mark after a pimple heals may turn into an unsightly scar if the healing process is disrupted or broken down by excessive squeezing or picking at the blemish. Sometimes it takes years for acne scars to become noticeable, but there are ways you can try and prevent them from forming in the first place. Here are top recommendations to keep in mind if you wish to prevent acne scars from forming:
- It may be tempting to pick on a pimple but resist the urge. Not only does this cause more inflammation and leave you with a mark that will be harder to get rid of, but it also breaks down the skin’s natural healing process, which can cause permanent damage to your skin.
- Comedones are pores that have been clogged by excess sebum production. While blackheads are open comedones caused by the accumulation of dead cells around the pore opening, whiteheads are closed comedones where these dead cells are trapped underneath the follicle wall. It is important not to pop these lesions as they may lead to scarring or an increase in pigmentation if done too aggressively or left untreated for too long. Another reason why this should be avoided is because popping these lesions can cause them to become more irritated or inflamed, thus prolonging the healing process.
- Instead of incessantly squeezing your acne blemishes, try applying a warm compress on the area before it gets severely inflamed. Also, avoid using harsh products that contain chemicals that increase skin irritation. Remember that less is more when it comes to skincare because too much product can also lead to pore congestion, eventually resulting in acne breakouts.
- Another strategy that you can use to reduce acne scars is with the help of topical exfoliants. Glycolic acid peels remove dead skin cells and stimulate collagen production, which in turn helps lessen the appearance of fine lines and acne scars.
- Lastly, make sure that you are wearing sunscreen every day! Not only does it prevent your skin from aging prematurely, but it also protects your skin from harmful UV rays that can cause dark spots or discoloration.
The Bottom Line
You have a choice when it comes to treating acne scars, and deciding which method is most suitable for you should be based on your individual needs. There are many options available, ranging from non-invasive procedures like chemical peels all the way up to surgical methods like dermabrasion that require an overnight stay at the hospital. If you decide to use medical treatments that require multiple sessions, the costs will definitely add up, so make sure to speak with your doctor first before starting any treatment plan.
At Veritas Medical Aesthetics, we offer affordable and effective acne scar removal treatments for all skin types. If you are interested in learning more about our aesthetic services or would like to schedule a consultation, feel free to give us a call on +65 6283 3885 or send us an email at [email protected].
Veritas Clinic Singapore – FUE Hair Transplant | Acne Scar Removal | Tattoo Removal
13 Stamford Rd, B2-35 Capitol Singapore, Singapore 178905
+65 8129 9789