Migraines are common to a large population of people around the world. Most of the time, we hear people complaining they have migraines. Migraines are severe pulsing pain that occurs in the head. A person can experience migraines from two hours to two days. If you are a victim of such, it is wise to get treatment from a Houston interventional radiology clinic.
The migraine specialists in the facility will offer you migraine treatment to end your pain. There are many facts concerned with migraines, such as the causes, the symptoms, the risk factors, and treatments. Here is everything you must know about migraines.
Symptoms of Migraines
- Increases in pain due to increased physical activities
- Pounding on one side of the head or both sides
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Tingling of the body
- Poor vision
- Ringing in the ears
- You may experience a lot of thirsts
Causes of Migraines
- Stress- A lot of stress is associated with migraines. Doctors advise people to manage their stress levels to prevent migraines. High-stress levels result in the release of cortisol which may trigger migraines.
- Failure to eat appropriately- Skipping meals may cause you to experience migraines.
- Certain types of food may cause migraines- Foods such as cheese and food containing nitrate addictive will cause migraines.
- Bright light or too much noise- Our bodies are sensitive to loud noise or very bright light. Controlling the brightness levels of light or loudness of sound will help you avoid catching a migraine.
- Intense physical activities- Engaging in intense physical activities may cause migraines.
- Caffeine- Consuming too much caffeine has been associated with migraines. People who take in too much coffee can start experiencing migraines.
- Certain medications- Certain medications can cause migraines when taken.
Factors that put you at risk of experiencing migraines
- Medical conditions- Most of the causes of migraines result from medical conditions. Some of the medical conditions that put people at risk of getting migraines include bipolar disorder, epilepsy, and depression. Medical care is vital if you are undergoing any of these medical conditions.
- Gender- Migraines are very common among women compared to men. This means that if you are a woman, you have a higher chance of experiencing migraines.
- Painkillers- The first medication to opt for are painkillers, especially if migraines are not a common condition for you.
- Triptans- Tripans are recommended by migraines specialists when painkillers don’t cure your migraines. The triptans lead the blood vessels of the brain to contract. Narrowing the blood vessels ends the migraine because the widening of the blood vessels causes migraines. Triptans can be in various forms, which include tablets or injections.
- Acupuncture involves injecting the skin with a thin needle where the needles are activated through gentle motions by the migraine specialist. Several acupuncture procedures can end your migraine condition.
Manage Migraines Today
Migraines do not have to be a condition that distracts your normal daily activities. Book a consultation with the migraine specialists at Alate Health facility. Proper migraine treatment will enable you to go on with your normal activities without any distractions.