Rhinoplasty: A Procedure to “Correct” Your Nose
Whatever the “it” nose for you might be, rhinoplasty is the surgery that can give you the nose that you always desired. Rhinoplasty in San Francisco has changed lives by helping people modify their noses.
What Is Rhinoplasty?
The word “rhinoplasty” finds its origin in the Greek words “rhis” and “plassein” which mean “nose” and “to shape” respectively. It is a surgery that is used to change the way a person’s nose looks. It doesn’t just have aesthetic purposes, but can also be a remedy for those who face issues with breathing.
If a person doesn’t like the size or shape of the nose, they can opt. to go for a surgery in which the bone and the cartilage are operated on to achieve the look that is wanted. Sometimes a person might end up with a deformed nose as a result of an injury, rhinoplasty is used to fix that. Your doctor might even suggest it as a treatment for severe breathing issues.
The first step in the process is a detailed appointment with the surgeon who will discuss several things with you, let’s have a look:
- They will get to know your medical history thoroughly.
- They will conduct and prescribe some tests that might include blood tests as well.
- They will communicate with you and get to know your expectations and the look that you want to achieve.
- They will then prescribe some medications to you which you will have to start taking two weeks prior to the surgery and will have to continue for two weeks after the procedure.
- They will also thoroughly discuss the guidelines with you.
- The next step is surgery. It is conducted under the influence of anesthesia, the doctor can decide to go for local anesthesia or general anesthesia depending on the individual’s case. The surgery is performed in several ways depending on the results that a person is trying to achieve. And depending on the surgery you might have to spend a day in the recovery room.
- The dressing that is on the internal side of the nose is splinted to the nose for support with the help of tapes. This dressing for most of the cases is removed after about a week and the person might experience a bit of bleeding and dripping off mucus the dressing is removed.
- The doctor asks you to follow some precautions for several weeks after the surgery, after which you get to see the results clearly.